Are you Inadvertently Putting your Skin at Risk?
Now that we are in the thick of summer, there seems to be no better topic to discuss than skin care. Most people know that exposing themselves to the sun's rays without adequate protection puts them at risk for skin cancer. We have also become more aware of the fact that UV damage is a major factor in premature aging. So what do we do? We apply sunscreen before we sit out at the beach or by the pool. On those days, or during vacations in the mountains where there is less environmental protection from UV light, we may even use a higher spectrum sunscreen than we do on routine days where we are going from home to work or school. This is all good, but it may not be enough.
Did you know that there are actually factors that can make your skin more sensitive to harmful UV rays? Clearly, if you did, you would avoid them.
What is photosensitivity?
Photosensitivity is a skin condition that occurs as a result of dermatologic change in response to a chemical. We can look at it like this: sunscreen produces a type of change in the skin that enables UV rays to bounce off. Agents that create photosensitivity, on the other hand, cause the skin to react in the opposite manner, creating something akin to combustion.
Triggers for photosensitivity include:
- Food sources. We know carrots for their benefit to eye health. Did you also know wild carrots can make it easier for you to burn? Other food sources include figs, dill, celery, and lime.
- Essential oils and scents. Pretty much any citrus essential oil can cause a bit of photosensitivity; some more than others. Take care when using wild orange, bergamot, lime, and lemon. In a pinch, use grapefruit essential oil, as this does not cause sensitivity to UV light.
- Drugs and supplements. Antidepressants, antibiotics, and anti-inflammatory drugs all create photosensitivity, and this is a short list. Herbal remedies can, too, including St. John's Wort.
- Skin care. You use skin care to make your fine lines and wrinkles disappear, not to potentially make them worse! Ingredients such as retinoic acid, beta- and alpha-hydroxy acids, and benzoyl peroxide, may all make you more sun-sensitive.
Photosensitivity can lead to a bad sunburn, and can even turn in to a photoallergy, in which a rash appears a few days after exposure. Take care to use products wisely, and you gain better protection against UV damage.
Want Luscious Lips? Here's What you Need to Know!
Plumping the pout is something that everyone seems to be talking about today. This trend may have begun years ago, but it was made exceedingly popular in recent months after the Kardashian half-sister Kylie Jenner admitted to reshaping her lips with temporary fillers. With augmentation is something performed in many dermatology and Medspa offices on a daily basis. Being a more common procedure does not necessarily mean, however, that you should jump right in to the plumping trend without knowing all the facts.
Lip Plumping isn't for Everyone
The fact of the matter is, some people can obtain outstanding results when soft tissue fillers are injected into a barely-there lip. Jenner is a prime example of this. Another instance in which lip augmentation can be advantageous is when volume has decreased as a result of the aging process. When neither of these concerns exists, adding more volume to already voluminous lips can quickly lead to an unnatural appearance.
From a medical standpoint, there are also conditions that may increase the risk of complications from dermal fillers for lip augmentation. These include:
- Facial nerve disorders
- Persistent herpes simplex lesions
- history of allergies
Are Lip Fillers Right for You?
Due to the popular trend, we can see why many patients are seeking lip augmentation with soft tissue fillers. Under the right circumstances, meaning an experienced practitioner, this treatment can achieve wonderful results. Here's how to make sure you get the luscious lips:
- Consult with a licensed, trained injector. The longer your provider has been performing lip augmentation, the better results you can expect.
- During your consultation for lip augmentation, view photographs of lip shapes and sizes that are attractive to you. You may bring images with you to your appointment, but you should also ask for direct evidence of your practitioner’s experience, i.e. Before and After images.
- Follow your providers’ instructions for aftercare. There's no downtime needed for lip augmentation with dermal filler's. However, patients are advised to avoid taking ibuprofen or aspirin after treatment. Additionally, strenuous exercise that increases circulation, or any body or facial treatments that increase circulation to the face should be postponed for at least 24 hours.
There's no better time than now to seek treatment for fine lines, wrinkles, and too-thin lips. Call our Sugar Land office at 832-770-6388.
Botox at the Heart of Bethenny Frankel's Facial Transformation
The Real Housewives of New York star Bethenny Frankel has seen her fair share of press in the last few years. Between her high-profile divorce and lawsuit involving her infamous Skinnygirl Cocktail line, you might be surprised that the thing about Frankel that is currently fascinating us the most is her facial transformation.
Throughout her rise to fame, Frankel's telltale aesthetic was, well, rather harsh. It has been her jaw line, in particular, that has created the angular structures that have thrown off the entire proportions of her face. Looking at old pictures of the reality star, you can see a marked protrusion at the sides of her jaw, leading to sharp angles down toward the point of her chin. Today, these severe angles have softened so significantly that the change has sparked speculation that Frankel has had plastic surgery.
The Truth Revealed
According to Frankel herself, the change to her jaw line is the direct result of none other than Botox; and the reason was not all cosmetic in nature.
Frankel is a self-professed tooth-grinder and jaw-clencher. Just like frowning causes perpetual contraction of the muscles between the brows and around the eyes, chronic clenching changes the masseter muscle that runs along the jaw line. In a perpetual state of contraction, as we can see by observing images of Frankel herself, this muscle can directly affect the shape of the jaw line. Treated with Botox, this muscle reaches a state of laxity that minimizes the uncomfortable symptoms of bruxism, including jaw pain, enamel wear, and headaches. As a very nice side effect, Botox injections also soften the definition along the jaw line, making the face appear less angular and therefore more feminine.
How Botox Works
Most of us have heard of Botox by now. This "wonder drug" creates astounding changes on the upper part of the face by releasing muscles that pull the brows together or down. With expert technique, we help our patients smooth away lines and wrinkles that make them appear angry, tired, and older than they feel. Muscle relaxation occurs within a few days after virtually painless injections, and remains effective for up to six months.
See what Botox can do for you. Call Acclaim Dermatology at (832) 770-6388.
Complexion Concerns? Check out These Possible Culprits
You visit Acclaim Dermatology for the high level of service your skin deserves. From acne to rashes to wrinkles, we take our time in determining the type of care that is necessary to achieve the desired outcome. The support that we provide does not end when you leave the office.
If your skin doesn't look as vibrant as it once did, you may wonder why. Is it time to switch out old products for new ones? If so, which are the right products for your current needs? Does your skin need some deep exfoliation or other professional care? While these steps are part of the long-term beauty routine, there are also certain simple factors that play a significant role in the appearance of the skin; and it's not always what you may initially think.
Most people know that eating a healthy diet and getting plenty of sleep and exercise is all a part of looking and feeling great. These factors affect the inner workings of the body, so they will, at some point, affect the skin. However, there are additional factors that can blemish your perfect complexion.
Phone + Face = Problems
Many people today are glued to their phone more frequently than they may think. Pressing the germ-laden phone screen to your cheek for several minutes at a time, several times a day, can lead to breakouts. Additionally, the pressure of phone to face is not the best idea for skin elasticity. For the safest usage, talk on speaker setting.
Bed Sheets and your Face
At the end of the day, you may want nothing more than to lay your head on your cozy pillow and throw the blankets up over your head. However, make sure that you are washing your pillowcases and sheets on a regular basis; about once a week will keep bacteria from collecting. Also, if you sleep on your face, invest in a silky smooth pillowcase that is kinder to the skin.
There are numerous ways that you can protect and pamper your skin, and we are happy to help you! For personal dermatologic care, call Acclaim Dermatology at (832) 770-6388.
Experience the Benefits of Ultherapy®
At a certain point in life, most men and women begin to notice that their facial contouring is not what it used to be. The brows become heavy, and may cause the eyes to look excessively tired. Cheeks flatten out and the skin that was once held up nicely now droops at the jowls and beneath the chin. Historically, these concerns could only be treated with plastic surgery. At Acclaim Dermatology, you can achieve beautiful, lifted skin with Ultherapy®.
Ultherapy® uses ultrasound energy to tone and tighten sagging skin. This FDA-cleared treatment device has been developed with the precise technology through which cells beneath the surface of the skin are targeted with gentle sound waves. Surface cells are undisturbed. The stimulation of tissue prompts the rebuilding of healthy, strong collagen strands, which changes the appearance of the face and neck over time.
Patients who choose Ultherapy® can experience a number of benefits, including:
- Non-invasive treatment that requires no anesthesia, no stitches, and no recovery. The delivery of focused ultrasound waves promotes a natural rejuvenation beneath the skin.
- Customized care achieves optimal results. After a discussion of expectations and assessment of your skin, we can adjust variables including the duration of treatment and the depth of energy. Depending on the desired outcome, we may combine Ultherapy® with cosmetic injectibles.
- Ultrasound treatment causes little, if any, side effects. You may go about your day following your procedure. Your skin may look slightly red and swollen, but these effects diminish quickly.
- Natural rejuvenation occurs gradually as a result of collagen reformation. The results of Ultherapy® treatment look completely natural – because they are! Ultrasound works in concert with the body’s innate ability to produce collagen. Nothing artificial is inserted into the skin.
- Because Ultherapy® prompts a natural regeneration of collagen, it takes a few months to see a change in your skin. However, many patients enjoy the lasting effects of collagen production, which keeps skin tighter and suppler for up to a year. With the occasional touch-up treatment, it is possible to maintain healthy collagen stores and slow the progression of aging on the face and neck.
You can love what you see in the mirror. Call Acclaim Dermatology for treatment designed around your needs. (832) 770-6388.
Is blepharoplasty your key to a more youthful look?
The eyes are much more than the windows to your soul; they are a telltale sign of age and vitality. It is on this area of the face where the signs of age tend to develop first. The formation of sagginess, puffiness, and fine lines and wrinkles occurs in this susceptible area due to sun damage, genetics, and gravity.
At some point, most people want to know what they can do to rejuvenate the eye area. Advances in aesthetic medicine have made it possible for more people to address issues like undereye bags or upper eyelid hooding with non-invasive technology. However, there are instances in which the most appropriate action is to surgically enhance the eyes with the blepharoplasty procedure.
Eyelid surgery explained
Blepharoplasty is a procedure through which the upper or lower eyelids can be meticulously modified to create a more youthful, awake appearance. During your consultation with Dr. Ali, you have the opportunity to discuss the concerns that you have about the skin on your upper or lower lids. When evaluating the upper lids, the positioning of the brow may also be considered, as this is a secondary problem that often coincides with hooding. Any questions that you have regarding eyelid surgery will be answered at this time.
The goal of the blepharoplasty procedure is to remove loose skin and excess fatty deposits that are aging the eyes. Board certified with the American Society of Dermatologic Surgery, Dr. Ali has the extensive training experience our patients seek for surgical eye rejuvenation.
What to expect
One of the benefits of blepharoplasty is that incisions are made in the most discreet manner. Though you are not likely to experience post-surgical discomfort, your eyes may look slightly swollen and bruised for a few days after your procedure. For this reason, you will want to reserve time at home for a full recovery.
Two weeks post-surgery, bruising and swelling should have subsided significantly. The lash line, where incisions were made, may continue to look somewhat pink for another month or two. However, most people will not be able to tell you have had surgery on your eyes.
Patients who choose to revive their eyes with blepharoplasty are often told that they look “great” or “rested,” though the cause for this rejuvenation is not obvious. The firsthand experience of many of our patients is that they have a renewed sense of confidence – and a brighter outlook – after eyelid rejuvenating surgery.
Read for younger looking eyes? Call Acclaim Dermatology at (832) 770-6388.
Are Soft Tissue Fillers Right For You?
Getting older happens to everyone, but sometimes the changes that come with aging make you look stressed, tired, or older than you feel. Soft tissue fillers can counteract many of the effects of aging and help you reclaim your appearance and confidence. Keep reading to learn more.
What can soft tissue fillers do?
As you get older, you loose volume in your face and wrinkles and creases can form as a result of repeated muscle movements. Dermal fillers can address a number of issues—they can be used to:
• Smooth out lines and wrinkles in the face
• Smooth the hands and make them look softer and younger
• Fill in deep creases, such as the lines between your nose and mouth
• Restore lost volume to cheeks
• Make lips appear fuller and smoother
What options are available?
Acclaim Dermatology offers a wide selection of soft tissue fillers. Many of these fillers use hyaluronic acid (a substance that is naturally found in the body) to add volume and smooth out the skin. Other fillers promote your body’s own production of collagen to help your skin improve itself for natural looking results that can last for a long time.
Patients can choose from the following options:
• JUVÉDERM®, JUVÉDERM® Ultra, and JUVÉDERM® Voluma™
• Restylane®, Restylane® Silk, and Restylane® Lyft
Each of these options comes with distinct advantages. Your doctor can help you evaluate your options and choose a filler that best suites your goals and lifestyle.
Are they the best solution for you?
While dermal fillers are an excellent option for many patients, they aren’t the only option available. Some patients may want to consider alternatives. For example, patients looking to improve sagging skin around the eyes may need to consider blepharoplasty, and patients looking to target wrinkles in the upper third of the face may benefit from Botox Cosmetic®, Dysport®, or Xeomin®.
However, if any of the following statements applies to you, you may want to consider soft tissue fillers:
• Your cheeks or lips have lost volume over time
• You’re looking for a fast, simple treatment that offers immediate results
• You want a non-invasive treatment that doesn’t involve surgery
• You’d like to fill in deep creases in your face while also reducing the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles
Soft tissue fillers are a safe, simple way to improve your appearance and help you reclaim your youth. To learn more about your options, schedule a consultation at Acclaim Dermatology.
Sclerotherapy is used to treat varicose veins and spider veins that can cause pain and detract from your appearance. Keep reading to learn more about varicose veins, spider veins, and treatment options.
What can you do to avoid varicose veins and spider veins?
Varicose veins and spider veins are often due to hereditary factors, pregnancy, lifestyle, medications, and more. There are some situations where varicose veins and spider veins can not be avoided, but there are a number of healthy habits that can help you lower your risks and protect your cardiovascular health. The following tips may help you avoid varicose veins:
- Maintain a healthy weight through regular exercise, eating healthy foods, and following the advice of your physician.
- Avoid staying in the same position for long periods of time whether that is sitting or standing. If possible, set a reminder every hour to stretch and walk around.
- Incorporate more cardiovascular workouts into your activities. Running, swimming, jogging, walking, and other exercises that get your heart pumping can improve circulation in your body.
- Avoid wearing tight clothing that cuts off circulation in your body.
How does sclerotherapy work?
At Acclaim Dermatology, ultrasound imaging is used to ensure precise and accurate results. A special sclerosant solution will be injected into the problematic spider veins and varicose veins. This solution causes these damaged veins to collapse and over time they’ll fade and be absorbed into the bloodstream. The treatment is quick and usually takes less than an hour. The length of your appointment will depend on how many veins are being treated.
After these veins have been treated, they’ll be less noticeable as they fade away and you’ll experience relief from the pain associated with varicose veins.
What is the recovery process like?
This treatment is quick and minimally invasive, so patients can return to normal activities and work the same day as the treatment. Strenuous activities, such as exercise and lifting heavy objects should be postponed until 7-10 days after the treatment so your body can fully heal. Your doctor may also suggest wearing special compression garments or bandages to aid the recovery process. Most patients see complete results 3-6 weeks after the treatment.
If you’d like to learn more about getting relief from varicose veins and spider veins, Acclaim Dermatology can help. Schedule a consultation today.
Welcome to My Blog!
Welcome to my blog! Within this regularly updated feature of my website, I will provide visitors with practice news and specials, as well as information regarding the most recent technological advances and new treatments in dermatology.
I believe that patient education and open communication with your doctor are the keys to achieving healthy, aesthetically-pleasing results and patient satisfaction, which is why I strive to provide the highest quality of dermatologic care for patients of all ages. This is done by combining technical skill and broad experience with cutting-edge technology for impeccable medical and cosmetic results.
I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to visit my new blog. Please check back often to learn about the latest news, updates and additions to the practice and within the field of dermatology, and feel free to post comments and/or suggestions on any posts that you find of interest.